The cycle board is the ideal tool to visualize workflow
The Cycle Board
The Cycle Board is BrainStore's form of applying the Kanban technique to team work.
- Increase transparency
- Reduce work in process
- Reduce time spent in meetings, discussing things
The rules (very simple)
- Anyone can place items in the pipeline at any given time
- Only the facilitator can move items from the pipeline to the open
- Anyone can pull items from the "open" and start doing them
- When an item is done you place it in the done
The origin of the term facilitator is Latin (facile) and means easy. Ideally, the team selects a facilitator. The facilitator should only pull items if the cycle board is running smoothly.
The facilitator makes things easier by
- Talking to the team
- Deciding with the team what to place in the open and thus supporting the team to set priorities
- Supporting team members to place items in the pipeline and to pull from the open
- Making sure that there is not too much in the doing
The facilitator can step down at any time - ideally after places all items in the open back in the pipeline before stepping down. The team then selects a new facilitator. So be nice to the facilitator :-)
- Items can also be pulled by more than one person.
- Simply edit the item in the doing and add additional names
- Online: You can change the interval of your notifications